(Quabbin Park Cemetery - Rt 9)
The Quabbin Park Cemetery (QPC) was built as part of the Quabbin Reservoir project. It was developed between 1931 and 1932 by the Metropolitan District Water Supply Commission (MDWSC) to receive the remains of 6,601 graves removed from the Swift River Valley.
Altogether, 7,613 graves were moved from 34 cemeteries scattered throughout eight towns. A majority of these were moved to the QPC, while some graves were relocated to cemeteries in other towns by choice of families. This site was developed on 82 acres of former farmland and woodland south of Route 9 in Ware on land outside of the Quabbin Reservoir watershed. Descendants are able to access their ancestors’ gravesites at this site which is easily reached and is outside of the flooded valley.
See Mass.gov: Quabbin Park Cemetery for information.